Minutes of Group Meeting – February 19th 2014

 

 

Present

Marjorie Mitchell (Chair), Isobel Watson, Emma Watson, John Brooking, Scott Ellis, Lois Scragg, Dot Merry, Glenys Beard, Mary Edwards, Richard Higgs.

Apologies:

Peter Chell, Sue Ellis, Fran Burton

1.Minutes of previous meeting:

accepted and signed. A letter had been sent to the Parish Council as agreed, regarding the poor state of the limekilns. PC representatives explained that efforts are still being made to achieve some progress on the site.

 

2.Treasurers Report:

Emma reported that after the payment for the “fairy light” on the Village Hall, the Group funds stood at £797.20.

 

3.Derbyshire Sustainability Fund:

Emma reported that the Fund could potentially make £3505 available out of a total bid value of £6996 towards various environmental projects at the School and around the village. Financial details are still to be finalised and will be made available as soon as possible to enable the Group to decide whether to proceed.

 

4.Project Progress:

–Village Hall lighting – completed

-Memorial Planting Area Plan – John produced a mock-up of how the area might look, with timber raised beds containing rose trees or standard fuschias. Plaques to commemorate particular events or purposes could be attached to the planters. Scott reported that Mr Billy Allen has offered a donation towards this work to commemorate the fallen of WW1.

-Willows Planting – Emma thanked for planting the dogwoods.

-Wild Flower “meadow” – it was agreed that a small group would visit the park to identify areas for planting which would be acceptable to the Parish Council and general public.

-BKV Maple Tree – has been planted in the Willows area.

 

5.Best Kept Village Competition 2014

– Mary agreed to submit the entry form by April. John has posters ready for display during the competition period. It was agreed to seek more volunteers for tidying through distributing leaflets door-to-door in April

– Richard to draft.

 

6.Summer Planters

– Mary and John agreed to source new barrel-type planters and Jean has agreed to do the hanging baskets once again. In the meantime, Richard agreed to plant some spring flowering species in the empty planters.

 

7.Any Other Business

– The Festival will be held on September 5-7 this year.

 

8.Date of next meeting:

early April – date to be confirmed.

 

 

 

 

 

OAKAMOOR VILLAGE GROUP NEWS

-------------------------------------------

 

OAKAMOOR VILLAGE GROUP

 

Minutes of Group Meeting – 24th September 2014

 

Present:

 

Marjorie Mitchell (Chair), John Brooking, Glenys Beard, Lois Scragg, Dot Merry, Mary Edwards,

Fran Burton, Scott Ellis, Mick Sale, Mark Fallows, Richard Higgs.

 

 

Apologies:

 

Frank Meadows, Peter Chell, Phil Charles

 

 

1.Minutes of previous meeting:

 

accepted and signed.

 

 

Matters arising:

 

Richard confirmed that letters had been sent to Matthew Peal, Nick Johns and Alton Towers as previously requested.

Dot updated the Group on the horse-riding in the Park and it was agreed that the matter should be pursued by the Parish Council.

 

 

 

2.Treasurers Report:

 

Richard reported that the Group funds will stand at £563.89, after all the expenditure for the summers activities has been paid.

This healthy position has been made possible by the donation of £300 from the Parish Council following our

success in the Best Kept Village competition .

 

 

 

 

3.Project Progress:

 

 

-Memorial Planting Area:

 

John explained that the construction of the new planters had been carried out with the help of the Churnet Valley Partnership Youth Rangers.

The engraving of the memorial planks to go on the outside is currently underway.

It was agreed to fund any cost associated with these planks, together with the purchase of gravel and rose bushes.

John will speak to Frank about the painting or otherwise of the planters.

 

 

4.Best Kept Village Competition 2014:

 

Mary read through the judges report which was highly complementary in the main,

the only criticisms were regarding dog fouling and cigarette butts

 

5.Future Projects:

 

Scott explained that temporary work had been undertaken to remove the damaged post from the Memorial area,

but that other posts would also need treatment.

It was agreed to obtain a quote of the cost involved, which might be eligible for CVLLP matched funding.

 

 

It was also agreed to find out the cost of a replacement notice-board which John will undertake as part of his consideration of the Village Hall porch.

 

6.Date of next meeting:

 

early in 2015 – date to be confirmed.

 

 

----------------------------------------------

OAKAMOOR VILLAGE GROUP

 

Annual General Meeting – September 24th 2014

 

 

Present:

 

Marjorie Mitchell (Chair); John Brooking, Glenys Beard, Lois Scragg, Dot Merry, Mary Edwards,

Fran Burton, Scott Ellis, Mick Sale, Mark Fallows, Richard Higgs.

 

Apologies:

 

Frank Meadows, Peter Chell, Phil Charles

 

1.Minutes of previous EGM:

 

accepted and signed

 

 

2.Review of year’s activities:

 

Marjorie read out the following list of successful projects undertaken by the Group since the previous meeting:

*Additions to Oakamoor web-site

*Planting on the Willows

*Lighting for the fairy on the Village Hall

*Summer planting scheme

*Wild flower area in the Park

*New seat outside the Cricketers

*New planters in the Memorial area

*Success in the BKV competition in both 2013 and 2014

 

 

3.Election of officers:

 

 

Chairman: Marjorie was elected to continue, proposed by Glenys, seconded by Mary.

Secretary: Richard was elected to continue, proposed by Scott, seconded by Mic

Treasurer: Mick was elected, proposed by Lois, seconded by John

 

Meeting ended at 8 pm

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Minutes of Group Meeting – June 4th 2014

 

Present:

 

Marjorie Mitchell (Chair), John Brooking, Peter Chell, Lois Scragg, Dot Merry, Rachel Finney, Fran Burton, Sue Ellis, Frank Meadows, Richard Higgs. Steve Jenkins and Matthew Peal for item 3.

 

Apologies:

 

Scott Ellis, Isobel and Emma Watson, Glenys Beard

 

 

1.Minutes of previous meeting:

 

Accepted and signed with the addition of Fran Burton’s name to the list of attendees.

 

2.Village Shop and Post Office:

 

The Group welcomed Mr Steve Jenkins of the Admiral Jervis Inn and Matthew Peal to explain their plans for the transfer of Post Office services to the Inn, and the opening of a small convenience store and coffee room. They explained that the PO transfer will take a little time but that interim arrangements were being discussed. The Group warmly welcomed their proposals and offered any support that the Group or it’s individual members could offer. Richard will write to Matthew expressing the Group’s support for this much-needed facility.

 

3.Treasurers Report:

 

In Emma’s absence, it was reported that the Group funds stood at £707.20. An invoice for £57.60 still needs to be paid. Frank informed the Group that a welcome donation of £300 from the Parish Council had been agreed, as a result of the transfer of the War Memorial to the Parish Council. It was agreed that a letter be sent to Mr. Nick Johns, thanking him for his part in this transaction. It was agreed to use the money towards the cost of the War Memorial upgrade.

 

4.Derbyshire Sustainability Fund:

 

No further information

 

5.Project Progress:

 

-Memorial Planting Area: with the additional funding now available, it was agreed that John can proceed with either new ready-made planters or with the help of the CVLLP Youth Volunteers – John to contact Martin Evans about this with a view to the work being completed in time for the Festival in September. Subsequent replacement of the wooden posts and the notice board were also agreed for the future.

 

6.Best Kept Village Competition 2014:

 

Following the Tidy –up Day, most areas simply need to be maintained, though particular attention needs to be paid to the Cricketers seat (Scott to lead), and the alcove behind the pub – Frank to speak to the landlord. Richard had purchased some grey slate for the sluice gate area.

 

7.Summer Planters:

 

Planting is now complete after the donation of plants from Alton Towers. Richard will write to Julie Deakin expressing the Group’s appreciation of the donation. It was agreed that a new planter for Carr Bank will be obtained.

 

8.Himalayan Balsam:

 

Notices have been put up asking people to help with pulling plants out before they seed.

 

9.Annual General Meeting:

 

 

Richard suggested that, in line with the Group’s constitution, the next meeting should begin with an AGM to elect officers for the Group for the next year.

 

10.Any Other Business:

 

Dot reported that she has written to Staffordshire County Council regarding horse riding in the park and is awaiting a response. It was agreed to present some flowers to Jean for producing the hanging baskets.

 

11.Date of next meeting:

 

Early September – date to be confirmed.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Minutes of Group Meeting – April 2nd 2014

 

 

Present:

 

Marjorie Mitchell (Chair), Emma Watson, John Brooking, Peter Chell, Lois Scragg, Dot Merry, Nicki Dyas, Mick Sale, Frank Meadows, Richard Higgs.

 

Apologies:

 

Isobel Watson, Mary Edwards

 

1.Minutes of previous meeting:

 

accepted and signed with the addition of Mick Sale’s name to the list of attendees.

 

 

2.Treasurers Report:

 

Emma reported that no further expenditure had been incurred, so the Group funds still stood at £797.20.

 

 

3.Derbyshire Sustainability Fund:

 

following the previous meeting, a sub-group had met to go through the details of the bid. The sub-group were happy with the contents of the bid, so it was agreed to go ahead with the bid, (proposed by John and seconded by Peter)

 

 

4.Project Progress:

 

 

-Memorial Planting Area Plan – John produced his latest design for the new planters with a two-tier wooden structure which was welcomed by all. Plaques to commemorate particular events or purposes could be attached to the planters. To buy the planters ready-made would cost in the region of £300, but this could be reduced if they were “home-made”, possibly with the help of the CVLLP Youth Volunteers – Richard to contact Martin Evans about this. It was agreed to use the expected donation from the Parish Council to cover the cost of the work.

 

-Wild Flower “meadow” – it was reported that the agreed area within the park had been cleared and planted. Results are awaited and public reaction will be assessed before any further areas are planted.

 

5.Best Kept Village Competition 2014 :

 

John has posters ready for display during the competition period which will be funded jointly by the Group and the Festival Committee. It was agreed to seek more volunteers for the Tidy Up Day through distributing leaflets door-to-door and on notice boards. The Parish Council will be writing to the 3 pubs to enlist their support and the School will also be involved. Particular attention needs to be paid to the Cricketers seat, the state of the Park and Willows, and the sluice gate area – Richard to purchase some grey slate.

 

 

6.Summer Planters :

 

Richard had planted some spring flowering species in the empty planters, and sourced 2 additional tubs. It was agreed to wait to see what summer plants might be donated by Alton Towers and then to buy additional ones.

 

 

7.Horse Riding in the Park :

 

Dot reported that she has written to the County Council about this increasing problem and Frank agreed to bring the Group’s concern to the attention of the Parish Council to get it’s support for action to be taken.

 

 

8.Any Other Business :

 

Mick raised the issue of Himalayan Balsam and the Group agreed to have a “pull-up day” in July.

 

 

9.Date of next meeting:

 

June 4th – 7.30pm in Village Hall

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________