Heritage Trail Board 3 - The Froghall to Uttoxeter canal
The Caldon Canal was opened in 1777, providing a new arm to the Trent and Mersey Canal. This was designed to serve the northern part of the Cheadle coalfield and the limestone quarries at Caldon Lowe. In 1799 an Act of Parliament sanctioned its extension from Froghall to Uttoxeter and John Rennie was appointed to carry out the project. The canal cutting passed through Oakamoor in 1806 and the extension to Uttoxeter was opened in 1811.
Coal and limestone were unloaded at Oakamoor basin for use in the limekilns and lime, copper and brass went to all parts of England by narrowboat.
The Cricketer’s Arms was built as a canal workers house. In the garden you can see the walled up outline of the canal bridge which once carried the turnpike road and served as a crossover bridge for horses.
The North Staffordshire Railway took over the canal company in 1847. The canal was retained long enough to transpoprt material to build the railway but was closed in 1849. The “wing line” from Oakamoor station followed the bed of the old canal, under the bridge, to “Jimmy’s Yard”.